Unwanted programs and dangerous files
The message “According to Yandex, this site may contain dangerous files” is shown in search results if Yandex detected suspicious or unwanted program files on the site, or links to programs that install additional software on the computer without the user's explicit consent. For example, this could be wrapper programs.
An example of such a program is a file that the user downloads when trying to download audio, video, or other content. When the file runs, it might install additional software without giving the user any information about the software and without asking for the user's permission.
Similarly, an unwanted executable file might install intrusive advertising that can't be removed using the standard tools on the operating system. When opened, unwanted program files might interfere with existing installed programs or change their settings.
An example of a dangerous file is an executable file for a trojan program that might steal personal data (passwords and so on) or violate the integrity of parts of the browser or operating system. Another example is spyware that allows unauthorized collection of information about the user's activity (it may capture keystrokes, email messages, images from the webcam, and so on).
If this is your site, follow these recommendations:
- Avoid using questionable affiliate programs and services.
- You should make sure that the user clearly understands the purpose of a downloaded file and the results of installing any program downloaded from your site.
- If the user has a choice to download the original program files or program files with extra components, make sure this choice is explained clearly.
- If the site recommends using a download manager, you must make it clear that the file for the download manager and the program the user wants to download are different files.
- Try to design your site so that the link or button for a direct download is just as noticeable as the link or button for installing the download manager.
- In addition to the page layout, you should pay attention to other aspects of the file download to avoid misleading the user. For example, don't use text or logos that resemble a registered trademark if the button, link, or page doesn't lead to downloading products with this trademark.
- Make sure that any installed program can be deleted using the standard operating system tools.
- Check whether your site contains such files by using third-party services or antivirus tools, such as virustotal.com.
If you have already fixed the violations, wait for the site to be rechecked automatically. In most cases, the site is rechecked within a month. If a similar violation has been detected multiple times in the past, you may have to wait several months for the site to be rechecked.
When the site is rechecked successfully, you will get a message in the Notifications section in Yandex.Webmaster. If the site still shows the message in search results after the above timeframe has passed, you probably haven't removed all the violations. In this case, check whether all the violations have been fixed, and wait for a recheck.
If you removed all the violations and waited for the amount of time listed above, but the message still hasn't disappeared, write to the Support service.