What are goals? Types of goals
- Tracking user actions (such as pageviews and button clicks).
A goal is an action that the site owner wants a user to complete: viewing a particular number of pages, going to a specific page, clicking a button, clicking a link, making a purchase, and so on.
When users visit your site and interact with it, Yandex.Metrica collects information about this and registers goal completions (conversions). This data is used to calculate so-called conversion metrics:
A conversion is the point at which the user completes the condition that is set in the goal parameters.
A converted user is the user who completed the condition that is set in the goal parameters.
A converted session is a session in which a conversion occurred. A single converted session may include multiple completions of the same goal.
The conversion rate is the percentage of conversions out of the total number of sessions.
You have a site with educational courses. The site allows users to fill out an application to participate. In this case, submitting the form could be considered the conversion. A site user who submitted the form is a converted user. And the session during which the user submitted the form is a converted session.
Goals are divided into several types depending on their conversion criteria .
- Page depth. Viewing a particular number of pages on the site.
- Page view. Viewing the specified pages on the site.
- Track clicks on email. Tracking clicks on all addresses on the site or the specified address.
- Track clicks on phone numbers. Tracking clicks on all phone numbers on the site or the specified phone number.
- Track form submissions. Track the submission of all forms on the site, or only some of them.
- Track transitions to messengers. Track site users' transitions via links to popular instant messengers.
- Tracking clicks to social networks. Track site users' clicks on links to popular social networks.
- Track file downloads Track downloads of all files on the site, or just some of them.
- Site search Find out how often visitors use search on your site.
- Transition back from payment system Track how many users returned to the site after clicking through to a payment system.
- Button click Track clicks on buttons and other clickable elements.
- Retargeting goals are set as retargeting conditions in your ad campaign settings in Yandex.Direct.
- Conversion goals aren't used that way.