Isolate tab data
Tab isolation is a mode that provides additional protection for your data. Even if a malicious site manages to bypass the domain restriction rules and access other sites' data, it will not be able to steal data (username, password, card number, cookies, etc.) that you entered under other tabs.
Why isolate tab data?
At the beginning of 2018, information about serious hardware vulnerabilities named Meltdown and Spectre was released through various media outlets. The first vulnerability was discovered in the majority of Intel processors that have been released since 1995 (through the present day); the second vulnerability concerns AMD and ARM processors. These vulnerabilities allow malicious code to access the memory that is protected on the level of the processor, OS, or sandboxs used by browsers. As a result, hackers can, for example, track what text you enter in apps or steal your passwords and personal information.
Since these vulnerabilities were discovered on the level of the processor architecture, it is impossible to completely protect your computer against them. You can, however, decrease your risk of an attack by taking the following measures:
- Update your OS. We recommend disabling automatic updates and restarting your computer. At the beginning of 2018, Microsoft launched corresponding security updates for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
- Enable site isolation mode in Yandex.Browser. If data isolation is enabled, the browser will launch a separate process for each open browser tab. That way malicious software launched on one tab can't steal data that you entered on another tab.
How to enable tab-data isolation
To enable tab-data isolation:
- Type browser://flags/#enable-site-per-process into the SmartBox.
- Press Enter.
- Under the Strict site isolation option description, click Enable.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Relaunch now.
To disable tab-data isolation, re-enter browser://flags/#enable-site-per-process in the SmartBox and click Disable under the Strict site isolation option description. Restart the browser.